Job Description for the Technical Director
Job Summary: The Technical Director provides technical supervision, support and equipment maintenance for NOVA Center for the Performing Arts. The Technical Director manages and coordinates all elements of technical stage production. Working closely with all theater users including touring companies, the Technical Director executes lighting, sound, and scenery for every event. The TD maintains equipment inventory, as well as a schedule of equipment maintenance, repair and replacement. The Technical Director works with the Managing Producer, Finance Director and Board to find the most cost effective sound, lightening and scenery options for each production
Employment Status: Exempt: full time
Reports to: Managing Producer
Basic Job Functions
- Work with Managing Producer, Finance Director, staff, teachers, and board members to provide cost effective technical support for all events hosted at NOVA
- Develop a budget with the Finance Director for repair and replacement of technical equipment assets
- Oversee and coordinate the staging of lighting, sound, video, projection and other equipment assets as required for individual events
- Responsible for execution of set and lighting design, by coordinating with set and lighting designers for productions inside NOVA
- Train and supervise all stage crew personnel in technical and safety procedures related to the theater, the technical equipment and personnel
- Perform post-event cleaning and maintenance of equipment
- Determine technical equipment inventory requirements; recommend purchases as needed
- Develop a written storage plan for technical equipment and maintain organization of stored items
- Prepare a work schedule for backstage event personnel and assign personnel to meet the planned production needs
- Provide individuals &/or group training to contract labor, students, and theater staff regarding staging techniques, sound, and lighting technologies
- Facilitate effective communication between backstage crew, performers and directors
- Maintain a broad knowledge of state-of –the-art sound, lighting and staging technologies; participates in professional development activities as appropriate
- Ensure technical crew, performers and directors adhere to established NOVA policies and procedures, quality assurance programs, and safety standards related to stage operations
- Maintain a clean workspace and ensure the tools, props and equipment of NOVA are treated well and secured
- Maintain Master Calendar for the Center for the Performing Arts
- Oversee the loan/return system for costumes, props, and construction materials
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Technical Theater or related field ~OR~ equivalent work experience
- Knowledge of theatrical lightening, sound and audio/visual equipment
- Knowledge of theatrical supplies, equipment, service ordering and inventory control
- Strong communication and human relations skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to maintain a flexible work schedule including weekend and evening hours
- Ability to work effectively in cramped, low-lit spaces and move heavy equipment
Salary & Benefits
$24,000. NOVA will pay 1/2 health insurance benefits for the employee. Subject to a six month probation period, with an evaluation at 90 days.
Please send completed application, a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to NOVA Center for the Performing Arts, Technical Director Search, PO Box 11, Billings, MT 59103. Applications are accepted until position filled. Preferred hire date: As soon as possible. All volunteers, contract workers and employees must consent to a background check.
Job Openings for Youth Conservatory Teachers
Job Summary: Maintains a safe and friendly environment for students to experience performing arts at its best. Teach class enthuisistically and according to curriculm. Works with Youth Conservatory Director to set curriculm.
Employment Status: Non-Exempt, part time
Reports to: Conservatory Director
- Education: Bachelor of Arts in Theatre, Youth Education, Music or other related field OR related experience
- Experience with youth education, preferably in a theatre setting.
- Experience performing general office duties such as record keeping, answering phones, copying, responding to email, performing mailings, etc.
- Experience organizing in an office setting.
- Hours: Part time; flexible hours with some hours worked during normal business hours. Evening and weekend work required, especially during production periods.
Salary & Benefits
Hourly wage, commensurate with experience and class size. Subject to a six month probation period, with an evaluation at 90 days.
Job Description for Venture Into Schools Director
Job Summary: Execute the two-week Venture Into Schools program at area schools.
Employment Status: Non-Exempt, part time, 10-15 hours per event booked
Reports to: Managing Producer
BASIC JOB FUNCTIONS
- Operate Venture Into Schools program with budget received from Finance Director and Managing Producer.
Execute Venture Into Schools Program
- Responsible for the execution of Venture Into Schools programs that are currently booked.
- Apply professional standards in executing the Venture Into Schools programs and meeting the expectations and obligations of the program.
- Answer phone calls and monitor and respond to email as they pertain to the Venture Into Schools program.
- Recruit and schedule school volunteers to perform daily operations as needed to meet required student/supervisor ratios.
- Employee’s personal vehicle will be used to transport Venture Into Schools props/supplies and mileage in town is included in the base pay. Mileage for out of town shows will be reimbursed at the current IRS rate.
Outreach/Public Relations/Community Relations
- Maintain contacts with area schools and PTA groups.
- Promote Conservatory class enrollment, current shows, and programs.
- Experience with youth education, preferably in a theater setting.
- Previous non-profit experience preferred.
- Experience with fundraising/development, or related work experience.
- Computer skills using Microsoft Word, Excel, and other basic programs.
- Experience organizing and managing in an office setting.
- Grant writing experience a plus, but not required.
- Hours: Part time; fixed hours worked during normal school hours, additional flexible hours for preparation and interim responsibilities.
Salary & Benefits
Pay shall be $500.00 for each Venture Into Schools program paid upon successful completion of the program. Subject to a six month probation period, with an evaluation at 90 days.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to NOVA Center of the Performing Arts Director Search, PO Box 11, Billings, MT 59103. Applications are accepted until position filled. Preferred hire date: As soon as possible. All volunteers, contract workers and employees must consent to a background check.
Click here for a copy of the Job Application